- MEF Nov 2022 NewsletterMEF MATCHING FUNDRAISERS – WE HAVE TWO THIS GIVING SEASON! Nov. 15 – Meta Recurring Donation Matching Program Nov. 29 – Dec 31 MEF #GivingTuesday Matching Fundraiser DONATE NOV. 15 OR 29 TO POTENTIALLY DOUBLE YOUR IMPACT! Message from Theo, MEF Board Chairperson: It has been another amazing year for MEF and the Engaruka English Medium Primary School (EEMPS). Highlights of the past 12 months are listed below and detailed in the newsletter. Nov. 15, 2022 Meta Recurring Donation Matching Fundraiser Make a recurring donation of up to $100/month on the MEF Facebook page and MEF will receive up … More MEF Nov 2022 Newsletter
- Meta Recurring Donation Matching Fundraiser – Nov. 15Facebook has done away with its traditional GivingTuesday matching program and replaced it with a matching program for people that set up recurring monthly donations through a charity’s Facebook donation button. This new program will start on Nov. 15, 2022 and run through December 31, 2022. Meta has not released the time that the program will kick off. It was 8am Eastern Time previously. Under the new program, Meta will match up to $100 per donor. Steps to participate in the new Meta donation matching program For iPhone or Android Device To make sure that the recurring donation was canceled, … More Meta Recurring Donation Matching Fundraiser – Nov. 15
- YOU DID IT!!!!!!!THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! As usual our donors came through and we have exceeded out MEF Mid-Year Matching Fundraiser goal of $41,086. As of a few moments ago, donors have given or pledged $41,201 and we had $12,700 in donations that will be matched for a grand total of $53,901. Thank you notes and tax receipts for charitable donations will be going out via email or letter in mid-August. Because of you: Three more children at the school have sponsors MEF will send an additional $20,000 to the school to fulfill our 2022 operating funds/sponsorships goal of $60,000. … More YOU DID IT!!!!!!!
- 3 Days to Go on Mid-Year Fundraiser and Getting Close!Three days left in our 2022 Mid-Year Matching Fundraiser and oh so close to our goal! We are at 87% of our $41,086 goal. We still have $2,409 in matching funds available! It is easy to donate and every donation helps. If you use Facebook, and want to pay by credit card, just click https://www.facebook.com/donate/697276468032938/ and then click on the blue Donate button. You can donate via the PayPal Giving Fund and credit card by clicking https://paypal.com/us/fundraiser/charity/2457198. You can also mail checks payable to MEF at 345 Woods Ln, Newport, VA 24128. The fundraiser will provide funds to: operate the … More 3 Days to Go on Mid-Year Fundraiser and Getting Close!
- 2022 Mid-Year Matching FundraiserTwo weeks into our 2022 Mid-Year Matching Fundraiser and 13 days to go! We are at 44% of our $41,086 goal. We still have $7,189 in matching funds available so please contribute so we do not lose those. It is easy to donate and every donation helps. If you use Facebook, and want to pay by credit card, just click https://www.facebook.com/donate/697276468032938/ and then click on the blue Donate button. You can donate via the PayPal Giving Fund and credit card by clicking https://paypal.com/us/fundraiser/charity/2457198. You can also mail checks payable to MEF at 345 Woods Ln, Newport, VA 24128. The fundraiser … More 2022 Mid-Year Matching Fundraiser
- Mid-Year Matching Fundraiser UpdateWe are 10 days into our 2022 Mid-Year Matching Fundraiser to raise funds to operate the school for the remainder of the year ($24,875) and $16,211 to start construction of a boys’ dormitory. So far we have raised $6,691 of our $41,086 goal and all of those donations have been matched. Additional details on the Mid-Year Matching Fundraiser are available by clicking the following link: https://maasaieducationfoundation.org/2022/07/03/1485/. It is easy to donate and every donation helps. If you use Facebook, and want to pay by credit card, just click HERE and then click on the blue Donate button. You can donate via the PayPal Giving … More Mid-Year Matching Fundraiser Update
- MEF 2022 Mid-Year Matching FundraiserThe board approved a 2022 Mid-Year Fundraiser with matching funds at our April board meeting to raise $24,875 in 2022 sponsorship/operating funds and $16,211 to start construction of a boys’ dormitory for a total of $41,086. In addition, we have matching fund commitments of up to $12,700 that will be used to partially furnish the recently completed Girls’ Dormitory and expand the school’s photovoltaic system. DOUBLE YOUR IMPACT! UP TO $12,700 IN MATCHING FUNDS FOR MEF’S MID-YEAR MATCHING FUNDRAISER! Boys Dormitory Funding Goal: The proposed boys’ dormitory will be a duplicate of the recently completed girls’ dormitory. When completed the boys’ … More MEF 2022 Mid-Year Matching Fundraiser
- EEMPS Trip Report and RecommendationsMay 18-31, 2022 Participants: Jarek Campbell, Steve Conner, Theo Dillaha, Hallie Tucker, MaryGrace Van Dervort Observations: So much progress since our last trip in August 2019. 185 students in 6 grades now and 10 teachers plus staff. The Crane Classroom and Restroom Buildings are being fully utilized. The New Girls’ Dormitory is more than 95% complete and children are living in three wings. Electrical and plumbing systems complete. A few brick work deficiencies need to be completed/corrected. Children and staff seem healthy and happy and enthusiastic about learning and teaching. Students are very responsible. They do much of the cleaning … More EEMPS Trip Report and Recommendations
- Upcoming Visit to EEMPSWe have not had any posts lately but that will change on May 17! Three students from Virginia Tech and two advisors/MEF Board members will visit the school May 18 to 31. During this period, we will provide daily updates on the school and our activities via the MEF Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/MaasaiEducationFoundation/. The participating students are with Service without Borders and they funded a computer lab at the school with 12 laptops, LCD projector, cellular modem, etc. The team will be training students and staff in laptop use and introducing educational software. Also reading with students daily as well … More Upcoming Visit to EEMPS
- EEMPS National Exam Results!𝑵𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏𝒂𝒍 4𝒕𝒉 𝒈𝒓𝒂𝒅𝒆 𝒆𝒙𝒂𝒎𝒊𝒏𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏 𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒖𝒍𝒕𝒔 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒊𝒏 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝒔𝒕𝒖𝒅𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒔 𝒘𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒐𝒖𝒕𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒏𝒅𝒊𝒏𝒈! All 25 of our 4th graders took the exam and here are the results for our Group (schools with less that 40 students in 4th grade). 𝗦𝗰𝗵𝗼𝗼𝗹 𝗣𝗼𝘀𝗶𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗶𝗻 𝗶𝘁𝘀 𝗚𝗿𝗼𝘂𝗽 𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗖𝗼𝘂𝗻𝗰𝗶𝗹 / 𝗠𝘂𝗻𝗶𝗰𝗶𝗽𝗮𝗹𝗶𝘁𝘆: 𝟭/𝟮𝟬 (𝗠𝗼𝗻𝗱𝘂𝗹𝗶 𝗗𝗶𝘀𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰𝘁?) – 𝟭𝟬𝟬 𝗽𝗲𝗿𝗰𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗶𝗹𝗲! 𝗦𝗰𝗵𝗼𝗼𝗹 𝗣𝗹𝗮𝗰𝗲 𝗶𝗻 𝗶𝘁𝘀 𝗥𝗲𝗴𝗶𝗼𝗻𝗮𝗹 𝗚𝗿𝗼𝘂𝗽: 𝟲/𝟮𝟰𝟱 (𝗔𝗿𝘂𝘀𝗵𝗮 𝗥𝗲𝗴𝗶𝗼𝗻) – 𝟵𝟴𝘁𝗵 𝗽𝗲𝗿𝗰𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗶𝗹𝗲 𝗦𝗰𝗵𝗼𝗼𝗹 𝗣𝗹𝗮𝗰𝗲 𝗶𝗻 𝗶𝘁𝘀 𝗡𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻𝗮𝗹 𝗚𝗿𝗼𝘂𝗽: 𝟲𝟯/𝟯𝟵𝟵𝟳 (𝗔𝗹𝗹 𝗼𝗳 𝗧𝗮𝗻𝘇𝗮𝗻𝗶𝗮) – 𝟵𝟴𝘁𝗵 𝗽𝗲𝗿𝗰𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗶𝗹𝗲 𝗘𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘆 𝘀𝗶𝗻𝗴𝗹𝗲 𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗼𝗳 𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝘀𝘁𝘂𝗱𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘀 𝗿𝗲𝗰𝗲𝗶𝘃𝗲𝗱 𝗮𝗻 𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗿𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝗴𝗿𝗮𝗱𝗲 𝗼𝗳 𝗔! We are excited as this indicates that the Engaruka … More EEMPS National Exam Results!
- YOU DID IT!The 2021 #Giving Tuesday/December was a huge success! Our goal was to raise $39,000 in donations to fund half of MEF’s 2022 operating funds commitment for the Engaruka English Medium Primary School and $9,000 towards a new water pipeline to increase the school’s water supply. With an additional $11,600 in matching funds provided by other donors, we raised at least $50,600 and the new water pipeline ($46,000) is fully funded! A huge thank you to all our wonderful donors! If you want to donate, please donate via the PayPal Giving Fund at: paypal.com/us/fundraiser/charity/2457198
- MEF Nov 2022 Newsletter
- Meta Recurring Donation Matching Fundraiser – Nov. 15
- YOU DID IT!!!!!!!
- 3 Days to Go on Mid-Year Fundraiser and Getting Close!
- 2022 Mid-Year Matching Fundraiser
We are making GREAT PROGRESS on the MEF #GivingTuesday-December Fundraiser! So far we have raised at least $28,627.93 or 73% of our $39,000 goal.
It is easy to donate, just click here –
Thank you to all that have contributed to MEF 2020 Giving Tuesday!!!!!
(Tuesday, Dec 1, 2020)
The MEF 2020 Giving Tuesday Matching Fundraiser is going great! Including donations through the PayPal Giving Fund, checks received, pledges and matching funds, we think we have raised $39,500 so we just have $8,500 to go to reach our $48,000 goal! Thank you to all our generous donors that have contributed and we still have 9 days to go for those that have not. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
HOW TO DONATE
BY CHECK: Send checks payable to the Maasai Education Foundation, 345 Woods Lane, Newport, VA 24128.
BY CREDIT CARD: (with no fees):
Via Facebook if on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/donate/747985299262359/
Via PayPal Giving Fund (anyone): https://www.paypal.com/us/fundraiser/charity/2457198
CORPORATE MATCH? If you work for a company with a corporate match program, please be sure to sign up for the match. Please contact us and we’ll help you with the process.
Please donate today and Thank You if you have already donated!
With our thanks, The MEF Board Members: Brian Benham (Treasurer), Kerry Brisco, Rebecca Caldwell, Theo Dillaha (Chairperson), Margie Lee, Karen Scalf-Benham, Audrey Spielmann, Randy Stith
Lots of Developments at MEF
- The Engaruka English Medium Primary School reopened June 29 after three months of shut down due to COVID-19 with 110 students. All the boys are now boarding at the school.
- During the shut down, the Peter Ozolins Dining Hall and the Crane Classroom and Restroom Buildings were completed. See pictures below.
- MEF welcomes Margie Lee, our newest Board member. Margie is a Professor and Head of the Department of Biomedical Sciences and Pathobiology at the Virginia Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine at Virginia Tech. She obtained her BS degree in Biology from Virginia Tech, her D.V.M. from Virginia Tech and her M.S. and Ph.D. in Medical Microbiology from The University of Georgia. Her research focuses on the epidemiology of meat and poultry-borne food safety pathogens, microbial pathogenesis, and ecology of poultry intestinal microbiome. In addition to research, she teaches microbiology to veterinary students, graduate and undergraduate students and veterinary residents. She is formerly the coordinator of Graduate Affairs for the UGA College of Veterinary Medicine and graduate coordinator for the Masters of Avian Medicine program. She is an avid motorcycle rider.
- MEF will be having its first major matching fundraiser from August 15 to September 13. The first $8,770 in donations will be matched by Theo Dillaha and Rebecca Caldwell. The first $10,000 in funds raised will go towards sponsorships for children and the remainder will go to start construction of a new dining hall. More details about the fundraiser soon!
#GIVINGTUESDAY FUNDRAISER RESULTS
Our #GivingTuesday Fundraiser was a huge success! A huge thank you goes out to all our donors for their $30,408.18 donations on #GivingTuesday. In addition to those donations, Facebook matched $13,482 in donations that were made in the first 13 seconds of the Facebook #GivingTuesday fundraiser. This means that our #GivingTuesday fundraiser raised a total of $43,890.18! Special thanks goes out to the following people (listed in order of the quickness of their donation) who donated quick enough for the Facebook match: Rebecca Caldwell, Karen Scalf-Benham, Brian Benham, Essra Kibler, Steve Conner, Essra Kibler (again), Theo Dillaha, Rebecca Patrick and Audrey Spielmann. These and additional funds have been sent to the school to complete construction and furnishing of the Peter Ozolins Dining Hall and the Crane Classroom and Restroom Buildings and for 2020 student scholarships. Classes started in early January for the 1st to 3rd grades and in February for pre-schoolers.
Classes were suspended on March 17 throughout Tanzania due to the COVID-19 crisis and our children were sent home. We expect schools to reopen soon. As of April 25, there are 299 reported COVID-19 cases and 10 deaths in Tanzania and no reported cases in the Engaruka area where the school is located. In the meantime, construction finishing touches are being completed on the Crane Classroom and Restroom Buildings and the Peter Ozolins Dining Hall.
HELP US HELP MAASAI YOUTH ON #GIVINGTUESDAY (Dec 3, 2019)
MEF holds its major fundraising activity on Giving Tuesday each year. Last year, we raised $32,700 on Giving Tuesday and later received matching funds of $7,650 from the Facebook Network for Good as a result. This year our #GIVINGTUESDAY goal is $36,390, which will be used for the following:
- Completion and Furnishing of the Crane Classroom and Restroom Buildings. $74,400 has been spent on construction and approximately, $13,831 is needed to complete construction. An additional $12,917 is needed to furnish the Crane Building with desks and chairs and to purchase bunk beds so several of the classrooms can be used as dormitories until a real dormitory is constructed.
- Completion of Dining Hall/Kitchen/Laundr The 7,000 ft² (650 m²) dining hall cost $62,152 including furnishings. MEF has provided $52,500 for its construction. An additional $9,642 is needed to complete the dining hall. These additional funds will be used for ceilings, electrical and plumbing systems, and kitchen and laundry furnishings.
HOW TO CONTRIBUTE ON #GIVINGTUESDAY
BY CHECK: Send checks payable to the Maasai Education Foundation to 345 Woods Lane, Newport, VA 24128 USA.
BY CREDIT CARD: Facebook’s match for #GivingTuesday 2019 begins at 8:00 AM EST (5:00 AM PST) on Tuesday, December 3. Last year the match was exhausted in 8 seconds, so it is critical to make your donation at 8:00 EST if you want to try for the match. The best way to do this is to make a small donation prior to 8AM so your credit card info is entered and saved and then open the donate window again before 8AM, enter your donation amount and wait until a moment after 8AM EST to hit the green donate button. Then click the blue Donate button at:
Last year, a maximum of $2500 could be donated but you could make multiple donations. If you do not like to donate via Facebook, you can also donate via the PayPal Giving Fund at:
MEF 2018 Accomplishments
- Received $108,900.83 in donations
- Total expenditures of $107,547.65 with 99.43% going to scholarships, EEMPS construction, Service without Borders work at the school and travel expenses for Martha Olemisiko (EEMPS Executive Director) and Maria Paapa Kingi to visit the US in August.
- Provided $44000,000 to start construction of the dining hall
- Provided $36,000 to start construction of Phase II classroom/library/restroom expansion
- Provided $1,150 to start construction of a two-unit prototype guesthouse
- Provided $14,970 in scholarships for 25 EEMPS students in 2018
- Provided $10,000 in scholarships for 2019 EEMPS students
- Provided $2,539.70 scholarship for Maria Paapa Kingi to attend Arusha Meru International School
April 25, 2018 fundraiser video
Has video of school, volunteers, and why you might want to donate.
Posters from fundraiser.